Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dartitis

Dartitis (pronounced dart-eye-tis) is a condition which can affect dart players, and severely damage their performance and results. It can be compared to the 'yips', a movement disorder which can affect golf players as they take their putting stroke. The term is used in reference to players who struggle with some kind of psychological problem with their technique and/or release of their darts.

The most famous case of dartitis came in 1986, when five-time World Champion, Eric Bristow revealed he was having problems with the release of his darts. Eric Bristow managed to make a partial recovery from the condition, and even managed to regain the number one position in the world rankings.

Players affected
The following players have been reported sufferers from the condition of dartitis.

Eric Bristow
Mervyn King
Mark Holden
Steve Alker
Mark Walsh

Content from Wikipedia and LoveDarts.co.uk

My Theories On Dartitis by Kyle G.

I've personally been through it. It was the most painful experience of my life. Not that it was physically painful but more soulfully. See can you imagine not being able to do something you really love doing and try hard at. Ask any paralympic and they will tell you how they feel. Well, that's how i felt. To the point where tears would roll down my cheeks and I'd feel disappointment with myself every night driving back home thinking where did i go wrong.

Dartitis in my opinion is a mental condition. You are asking your body to do something that it cant or refuses to do. Darts on the other hand is a game where your body memory is constantly in use and your mind and hand work mutually. Put two and two together it is basically telling you that you are forcing your hand to do something that it doesn't want to do. Thus, your mind is not allowing your hand to release the dart.

Why does this happen. My theory is;

  • Your mind and hand are pushed over the limit. Especially your mind. Thus, not allowing you to do what you could or would normally do
  • Pushing too hard for that triple 20 you 'have' to hit. Note that 'have' is highlighted. It's like asking your body to run 100m in 8 secs.
  • Not physically ready when playing. When your body and mind are tired, its telling you that it needs a break, not to push me harder.
  • Not mentally ready when playing. What i mean is, sometimes or most of the time a player is think he is mentally ready, but one might not be 100% there. You might be thinking of work, kids, wife, functions, your 'dartitis' and so much more. This is absolutely the wrong way to even play darts. One's mind should be absolutely clear and focused on the task ahead.
  • Enjoying the game. I feel sometimes players forget that this is a game to enjoy and take it too seriously when their darts aren't happening. It is then that they push themselves harder without the right mind set and screw up their stroke or get dartitis. Remember why you played darts? Yes, because you loved it.
These are just a few theories on my experiences and conversations i had regarding dartitis. My uncle has it. To the extend that during a tournament once, he closed his eyes and threw his darts. When i had a chat with him, he told me that every time he plays darts, his goal was to finish a 9 darter. Every time he starts on the line. Something i almost had in common with.

As for how to get over it? Well try this out. It has a bit of the elements i had getting over dartitis. Go and try it and don't worry to much. Happy Darting.

Mick from Love Darts says...

I used to play darts in my local league for many years earning myself a comfortable reputation. Disaster struck when I slowly started to hesitate releasing the dart and eventually lifting my left leg from the floor (right handed), followed by lifting off my right foot onto tip-toe (dartitis sufferers will know what i mean!).

As being a great dart lover, I can now say that after many hours of frustration I have overcome this awful condition. The old Mick is back at the oche, playing with my brother and son on a weekly basis. I know there are plenty of helpful tips out there but hopefully these might do the trick.

1. Throw the darts in an aggressive manor, meaning a lot faster than your normal release.
2. Don't concentrate aiming the dart to much on the target you want to hit, (just throw fast at that area).
3. Move your position of throw, not the stance, and allow your mind to float at times thinking 'yes, I feel better at this angle'.
4. If this does not work don't give up! Believe me I will try my hardest to get you through it.
5. Pick up your darts as often as you can, preferably not long spells. Try 30 minute sessions! (Relax) then say to yourself these are your last 3 darts, full stop, know more, then just walk away.
6. One of the biggest mistakes I used to make is watching players on the television. I used to say to my brother 'Watch this, I've been watching Phil Taylor throw'. This is your idol we are talking about (don't get me wrong) idols are great but what I would do is copy and totally release the dart in the same way Taylor did, but this is not the way I would release it. (Come on think!), just because Taylor is a multiple world champion, it doesn't mean you will have the same style, and I'm sure Taylor will back you on this.
7.


Once you have started to throw your darts at speed and feeling more comfortable, slowly get back to your normal self.

2 comments:

  1. Me name is Kevo and me has a problem. Am goin thru dartitis, well some sort of darts problem at least. Its not denial, me just don't know what it is. Me like to think its a kind of a transition period but then again could be worse... the grand finale of me throwing days.

    Mind is aware and willing but the coordination in between somehow breaks down. Havin a busted arm doesn't help but me's prepared to fight it. Standing position might be curiously far out but me looks at the board head on.

    Never really encountered this so me's gonna take it easy and feel the fun again and try to revive it subconciously. Have even changed me darts set for some kind of wishful transformation but also know at the same time, it might be catastrophic to the problem.

    Its all in the mind as they say and me hopes its as simple as that. Lord thank You for all of life's lessons but lift me at me time of desolation, bless me strength to rise above me trials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kevo,

    I pray that you get over it. You sound like you're on the right track. A wise man once told me to just keep plugging and to keep my head on my shoulders. So it is the same advice i would give you. Most importantly is enjoy what you're doing and think off ways without going crazy how to overcome it. Play it simple and all the best mate.

    ReplyDelete